Amazon: Amazon has been made ready to row and to sail (in light winds) this year for under £2000. Launch 24/8/23. We are hopeful that no more than maintenance will be needed until Swallow is ready to take over.
She needed the centreboard casing removed and replaced as it leaked. Some work to her spars. The centreboard lifting mechanism replaced.
After Swallow is fully ready, in a couple of years, Amazon will also need a renovation at about £10,000 .
Swallow is in need of a considerable amount of repair and restoration. Planking work will have to be re-assessed when the varnish and paint has been removed so please be aware that our cost estimate may change at that point.
- Remove thwarts and risings
- Remove gunwales, breasthook, and quarter knees
- Scrape and remove varnish and paint, internal and external.
- NB: planking work to be re-assessed this stage. However, the following work has been identified as necessary:
- Planks into stem post to be repaired, replaced and re-fitted
- Stem post to be removed, remade and re-fitted
- Replace starboard plank 6
- Replace starboard sheer plank
- Replace 6 ribs starboard
- Repair stern post
- Repair and refit thwart hanging knees
- Scrape, remove, varnish, refit gunwales and quarter knees
- New breasthook – make and fit
- Five cracked floor boards – remove, make, paint, fit
- Revarnish internal planks and fittings and paint bilge
- Revarnish external planks and paint below waterline
Material – £ 2,212.65
Labour – 254 hours @ £30 per hour – £7,620
Estimate total – £9,832.65 plus VAT (£11,799.18)
We have £10,500 and the rest should be donated in the near future.
Swallow is at least 60 years old, so not unexpected!